To make you will need:
- 400g of bird seed
- 1 packet of gelatine (20g)
- spray oil
- cookie cutters (we used heart, star and Christmas tree shapes)
- baking parchment paper
- drinking straws
1. To begin, make up the gelatine sheet mixture according to the instructions on the packet.
2. Gently heat the mixture until all the gelatine has dissolved, ensuring that you do not let it boil.
3. Add the melted gelatine to a large mixing bowl containing the bird seed and stir together well.
4. Next, line a baking tray with parchment and spray the inside of the cookie cutters with the oil so that the bird mix doesn’t stick to the sides once set.
5. Once the bird seed mixture is cool spoon it into the cookie cutters and pat down to compact it. Cut a drinking straw into thirds and push one third into the center of each mould. This will create a hole for the twine to go through.
6. Next put the bird seeds cakes, still in their moulds, into the freezer to set for about 3 hours. Once set, remove from the freezer. Carefully push the cake out of the mould and pull out the straw. Thread a piece of twine through the hole and tie together to make a loop from which they can hang.
7. Wrap up your bird cakes carefully and place under the tree!